Senior Keeper: Large Mammals
Twycross Zoo is currently going through an exciting period of change as the zoo develops and we are looking for dynamic, knowledgeable individuals to help lead the teams forward.
We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Keeper on our Large Mammals section. The section manages a range of ungulate and carnivore species including zebra, nyala, tapir, Amur leopard, snow leopard, meerkat, Kirk’s dik dik, Asian elephant and giraffe, which will arrive in 2015.
· A hands-on role, working on the section and covering all areas of daily animal husbandry including feeding, cleaning, training and record keeping
· Interacting with visitors to the zoo
· Assisting with the supervision and training of staff
Key Skills & Requirements
· A high performing, enthusiastic individual with a proven track record in zoo animal management
· Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a keeper
· Able to demonstrate a substantial working knowledge of the natural history and management of key species
· A good team worker with a positive outlook
· Excellent communication skills
· Committed to continued professional development of yourself and other staff
· Supervisory experience advantageous
· An animal related qualification such as ANCMZA or DZMAA
This is a full time position, including weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly and we provide uniform, 31 days holiday, 5% employer’s pension contribution. Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org,
Closing date for applications: Friday 2nd January 2015
Deputy Section Head: Elephants
Twycross Zoo is currently going through an exciting period of change as the zoo develops and we are looking for dynamic, knowledgeable individuals to help lead the teams forward.The elephants section comprises a herd of 5 Asian elephants, which includes two mother/daughter pairings, ranging in age from 9 months to 28 years old. A new grass paddock and raised visitor walkway with viewing area was completed this summer to complement the large sand paddock and pool.
- A hands-on role, working on the section
- Supervising all areas of daily animal husbandry
- Developing, supervising and training staff
- Taking administrative responsibility, alongside other senior staff within the Large Mammals section
Key Skills & Requirements
- High performing and enthusiastic
- Proven track record of working with elephants in a protected contact system
- Good experience of elephant foot care
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience preferred
- Able to demonstrate good working knowledge of the natural history and management of elephants
- Good team worker with positive outlook
- Excellent communication skills
- Committed to continued professional development of yourself and other staff
- An animal related qualification such as ANCMZA or DZMAA
This is a full time position, including weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly and we provide uniform, 31 days holiday, 5% employer’s pension contribution.Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com, detailing your salary expectations and notice period.
Closing date for applications: 31st December 2014
Catering and Events
The catering provision at Twycross Zoo is provided in partnership with Centreplate. For details of current vacancies please follow the link and click on Midlands & Wales - http://www.centerplate.co.uk/career-opportunities
Information for potential zookeepers
Zookeeping is a highly competitive career and positions in animal collections such as Twycross Zoo are highly sought after. Applicants for any of our animal keeping vacancies would need to have a relevant, animal-related qualification such as National Certificate/Diploma in Animal Care or Animal Management or a degree in a subject such as Animal Behaviour, Animal Science or Zoology.
For trainee keepers, practical, hands-on experience is very important, so get as much animal-based experience as possible, preferably with zoo animals. For higher grades, you will need to have several years’ relevant experience in order to be considered.
The British & Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) website has further information on careers in zoos.
Important information for all applicants
- If applying for a current vacancy, please state clearly which role you are applying for in the subject line of your email application.
- Unfortunately we do not keep candidate details or CVs on file and therefore cannot accept speculative applications.