2015 promises to be an exciting year here at Twycross Zoo and we are looking forward to seeing some great new developments around the park, including:
- Gibbon Forest – a large indoor/outdoor visitor experience containing several moats. This will help us to showcase our extensive and precious collection of gibbons
- Giraffe Savanah – a new development which will be located by the elephant walkway
Animal Keeper: Great Apes
We currently have a vacancy for an Animal Keeper to work on our Great Apes section. This area manages all four species of great ape; gorilla, chimpanzee, orangutan and bonobo.
- Basic animal husbandry and regular interaction with the public
Key Skills & Requirements:
- Enthusiastic, motivated and with an interest in zoo animal management and education
- Commitment to continual professional development
- A good team worker
- 2 years zoo keeping experience and a relevant animal-related qualification
The role is permanent and includes weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly and we provide uniform and 31 days holiday per annum (pro rata).
Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com
Closing date: Sunday 31st May 2015 or once sufficient applications have been received.
Temporary Contract (immediate start upto 31st July)
We currently have a vacancy for an Education Administrator to assist the Discovery and Learning Team with group bookings and other administrative tasks.
- Take bookings for Discovery programmes, including schools programmes and other groups as necessary
- Maintain accurate records for all bookings
- Process payments and ensure invoices are created for all payments
- Handle enquiries from visitors in a helpful, courteous and timely manner
If you meet these requirements and possess good people management and communication skills with a flexible and calm approach to work, we would like to hear from you.
The successful applicant is required for an immediate start and will work on a temporary basis until 31st July 2015. Contracts are ‘zero hours’ and shifts are allocated by mutual agreement which may require you to work up to 5 days out of 7.
Rates of pay are £5.25 per hour at ages 16-17, £5.68 at ages 18, 19 & 20 and £6.31 at age 21 and above. Minimum age is 16 for Health and Safety reasons.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
This vacancy will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received, therefore you should submit your application as soon as possible.
Information for potential zookeepers
Zookeeping is a highly competitive career and positions in animal collections such as Twycross Zoo are highly sought after. Applicants for any of our animal keeping vacancies would need to have a relevant, animal-related qualification such as National Certificate/Diploma in Animal Care or Animal Management or a degree in a subject such as Animal Behaviour, Animal Science or Zoology.
For trainee keepers, practical, hands-on experience is very important, so get as much animal-based experience as possible, preferably with zoo animals. For higher grades, you will need to have several years’ relevant experience in order to be considered.
The British & Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) website has further information on careers in zoos.
Important information for all applicants
- If applying for a current vacancy, please state clearly which role you are applying for in the subject line of your email application.
- Unfortunately we do not keep candidate details or CVs on file and therefore cannot accept speculative applications.