Twycross Zoo is an award winning zoo and visitor attraction based in rural south Leicestershire. Founded in 1963, it became a registered charity in 1972. Attracting 500,000 visitors each year, Twycross Zoo is at a very exciting stage of development with the first phase of a 20 year masterplan underway. The plan will see the zoo developing new habitats for a refreshed animal collection and enhanced visitor experience. Twycross Zoo is at the forefront of conservation, education and research. It has a strong commitment to its award winning education programme which aims to increase the level of awareness, knowledge and understanding about the animals and their plight in the wild.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Enthusiastic team members to join the Guest Services and Retail departments of our award-winning animal collection
- Individuals with exceptional customer service and communication skills – these are essential requirements to make sure our customers have a great day out
- The ability to be a multi-skilled customer service assistant – you will be involved in a number of aspects of the visitor experience, including providing a friendly and professional welcome, ensuring visitors are up to date with the latest zoo information, operating tills, driving sales and working at our Soft Play facility
- Maintaining high standards of cleanliness across the site is also an essential requirement
- People who are able to arrange their own transport due to our rural location
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Training in all aspects of the job
- Set in more than 80-acres, with around 500 animals of almost 150 species, Twycross Zoo is a great place to work.
- Rates of pay are £5.88 – £7.65 depending on age (minimum school leaving age for Health and Safety reasons)
- You will work on a fixed term basis from 2nd February to 9th September 2018, including bank holidays, weekends and school holidays. Contracts are ‘zero hours’ and shifts are allocated by mutual agreement which may require you to work up to 5 days out of 7
- Staff membership card, giving you free entry to the zoo on your days off and discounts in our retail and food outlets
- Free allocation of tickets to share with family and friends (depending on the number of hours you work)
- Free car parking
If you would like to be part of our team, we would like to hear from you now. Please follow our application process by visiting http://www.twycrosszoojobs.co.uk. Shortlisted applicants will then be contacted and invited to our group Assessment Centres which will be held on Tuesday 30th January 2018.
The closing date for these roles is 25th January 2018
Opportunities in Catering – Recruiting Now!
Levy Restaurants, part of the Compass Group and in partnership with Twycross Zoo, offers a wide range of food and beverage options to our visitors. Since joining the team at Twycross in January 2017, Levy’s have undertaken redevelopment works across the site including refurbishment of the main restaurant area (The View) and introduction of the Vine Cafe which also offers Costa Coffee (proud to serve).
If you’re interesting in Catering, have a passion for great customer service and would like to help contribute towards our zoo’s conservation aims, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on current vacancies.
Information for potential zookeepers
Zookeeping is a highly competitive career and positions in animal collections such as Twycross Zoo are highly sought after. Applicants for any of our animal keeping vacancies would need to have a relevant, animal-related qualification such as National Certificate/Diploma in Animal Care or Animal Management or a degree in a subject such as Animal Behaviour, Animal Science or Zoology.
For trainee keepers, practical, hands-on experience is very important, so get as much animal-based experience as possible, preferably with zoo animals. For higher grades, you will need to have several years’ relevant experience in order to be considered.
The British & Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) website has further information on careers in zoos.
Important information for all applicants
- If applying for a current vacancy, please state clearly which role you are applying for in the subject line of your email application.
- Unfortunately we do not keep candidate details or CVs on file and therefore cannot accept speculative applications.