Senior Animal Keeper: Large Mammals
Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a keeper – must include working with elephants
Twycross Zoo is at a very exciting stage of development with the first phase of a 20 year masterplan already underway. The plan will see the zoo developing new habitats for a refreshed animal collection starting with Giraffe Savannah and Gibbon Forest in 2015 and plans for ape developments also going ahead.
With the expansion of our Large Mammals collection, we now have a vacancy for a Senior Keeper on this section, which manages a range of ungulate and carnivore species including zebra, nyala, tapir, Amur leopard, snow leopard, meerkat, Kirk’s dik dik, Asian elephant and giraffe.
- working on the section, covering all areas of animal husbandry
- training and record keeping
- interacting with zoo visitors
- assisting with the training and development of staff
Key Skills & Requirements:
- minimum of 4 years’ experience as a keeper – must include working with elephants
- enthusiastic, high performing and motivated with a proven track record in zoo animal management
- substantial working knowledge of the natural history and management of key species
- good team worker with a positive outlook and excellent communication skills
- commitment to continued professional development of yourself and other staff
- previous experience of supervising and training staff
- zoo keeping experience and a relevant animal-related qualification
These are full time positions, including weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly and we provide uniform and 31 days holiday per annum.
Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org,
This vacancy will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received, therefore you should submit your application as soon as possible.
Information for potential zookeepers
Zookeeping is a highly competitive career and positions in animal collections such as Twycross Zoo are highly sought after. Applicants for any of our animal keeping vacancies would need to have a relevant, animal-related qualification such as National Certificate/Diploma in Animal Care or Animal Management or a degree in a subject such as Animal Behaviour, Animal Science or Zoology.
For trainee keepers, practical, hands-on experience is very important, so get as much animal-based experience as possible, preferably with zoo animals. For higher grades, you will need to have several years’ relevant experience in order to be considered.
The British & Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) website has further information on careers in zoos.
Important information for all applicants
- If applying for a current vacancy, please state clearly which role you are applying for in the subject line of your email application.
- Unfortunately we do not keep candidate details or CVs on file and therefore cannot accept speculative applications.