Twycross Zoo is at a very exciting stage of development with the first phase of a 20 year masterplan already underway. The plan will see the zoo developing new habitats for a refreshed animal collection with the opening of Gibbon Forest in 2016.
Animal Stores Co-ordinator
A new role has been created for an Animal Stores Co-ordinator to co-ordinate, monitor, source and order supplies for the animal department which comprises of 4 sections: Great Apes, Primates, Large Mammals and Birds & Pets. The successful candidate will have strong organisational skills and take a hands-on approach, being confident in handling all types of produce including meat and fish in frozen and fresh forms.
- Develop the animal stores and goods ordering processes to improve efficiency
- Ensure stock is controlled, monitored, organised and rotated (general stores, dry feed, fresh and frozen food)
- Source competitively priced alternatives
- Receive, unload and organise deliveries and donations
- Assist in the management of budgets in conjunction with the Curator of Living Collections
- Collect goods and donations using zoo vehicles as required
- Assist with stock movement around the site
- Ensure animal stores, barn, centralised kitchen and yard areas are maintained to a high level of cleanliness and tidiness
Key Skills & Requirements:
- Strong organisational skills in both operational and administrative areas
- Good communication skills with a calm and approachable manner
- Good IT skills (word, excel) and basic mathematical competence
- Experience in stores management desirable
- Full valid driving licence essential and willingness to undertake training on operation of zoo vehicles
- Self-motivated and independent with ability to work well within the broader zoo team
- Physically fit for the required tasks including daily manual handling
The role is permanent full-time working 40 hours per week Monday to Friday 0800 to 1700 with 1 hour’s unpaid break and may include occasional weekend working. Salary is paid monthly and we provide uniform and 31 days holiday per annum (including bank holidays).
Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This vacancy will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received, therefore you should submit your application as soon as possible.
The catering provision at Twycross Zoo is provided in partnership with Centerplate, specialists in venue and event catering. For details of current vacancies please follow the link and click on Midlands vacancies: http://www.centerplate.co.uk/career-opportunities
Information for potential zookeepers
Zookeeping is a highly competitive career and positions in animal collections such as Twycross Zoo are highly sought after. Applicants for any of our animal keeping vacancies would need to have a relevant, animal-related qualification such as National Certificate/Diploma in Animal Care or Animal Management or a degree in a subject such as Animal Behaviour, Animal Science or Zoology.
For trainee keepers, practical, hands-on experience is very important, so get as much animal-based experience as possible, preferably with zoo animals. For higher grades, you will need to have several years’ relevant experience in order to be considered.
The British & Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) website has further information on careers in zoos.
Important information for all applicants
- If applying for a current vacancy, please state clearly which role you are applying for in the subject line of your email application.
- Unfortunately we do not keep candidate details or CVs on file and therefore cannot accept speculative applications.