Beat the September blues with fun at Twycross Zoo
From a special day celebrating our nearest relatives to a night at the ‘Zoovies’
Twycross Zoo will be staging a number of exciting events throughout September to make back to school month fun for all. With offers and activities for all age ranges, a visit to the Zoo promises to be a great experience. To make the most out of the days out, visitors can purchase the Zoo membership which provides unlimited free entry to the Zoo, discounts on the soft play area and in the gift shop, as well as an entry discount for friends and family.
The September events and special promotions include:
International Primate Day – Friday 1 September 2017, 10am – 6pm
- Visit Twycross Zoo to celebrate our closest relatives on this special day to learn more about primates and help save endangered species
- Twycross Zoo is home to one of the largest primate collections in Europe and works hard to conserve some of the most threatened animals in the world
- Visitors can join in crafts, games, puzzles and enrichment making and take part in a fun trail around the zoo to discover primate species
- Keeper’s Talks throughout the day will help visitors learn more about black-headed spider monkeys, lemurs, gibbons, bonobos and a special talk at chimpanzees, the zoo’s flagship species which will soon be moving to a new habitat currently under construction
The Outdoor Cinema, The Jungle Book – Saturday 2 September 2017, 5pm – 9pm
- It is time for the ‘Zoovies’ and spending the evening at Twycross Zoo watching Disney’s The Jungle Book (2016 version)
- Visitors can bring in pillows, blankets and chairs to make themselves comfortable as well as your own treats and traditional family film snacks
- The Zoo’s Fish bar will be open until 7pm and hot food, ice cream and popcorn will be available in the outdoor cinema area as well as a selection of sweet treats from a pop up gift shop
- The Zoo will remain open until 9pm with the film starting promptly at 7pm
Grandparents Day – Sunday 10 September 2017, 10am – 6pm
- Calling all grandparents – why not visit Twycross Zoo and get a free entry for their grandchild (free entry for one grandchild aged 3-16 with every paying grandparent) on this day
- There are many grandparents among the animals, including Western lowland gorilla Biddy who shares her enclosure with grandsons Lope and Shufai; and Bornean orangutan Kibriah, who is busy looking after her own baby girl Kayan and grandchildren, 7 years old Molly and 5 months old Basuki
- Education Rangers will be on hand to answer any questions about the Zoo’s animals and the day will also include the regular Keeper’s Talks about the individual animals, how species live in the wild, what the Zoo does to help them and how visitors can help conserve these species from home
Ryan Floyd, Guest Services Manager at Twycross Zoo says, “In September we can all do with a bit of a boost sometimes, with the holidays coming to an end, so we decided to put on a number of events to make sure our visitors can get an extra dose of fun.
“As well as making a visit lots of fun for visitors, we also want to encourage people to take an interest in wildlife and show them that they can help conserve endangered species from home, that is why there is always something new or different going on at the Zoo.”
Twycross Zoo is open to the public from 10am to 6pm. For more information call 0844 474 1777.